While this year's challenging circumstances would not permit the traditional in person poster session, we are experimenting with an online poster session to facilitate the exchange between SSI participants. All participants are encouraged to submit posters to present their own research during the Institute. Topics for the poster session are not limited to the current year's theme of the Institute. Two time windows at 7:30--8:50am and 1:30-2:50pm US Pacific time for Tuesdays, Wednesday and Thursday of the two weeks are offered as potential poster session windows in the abstract submission process and authors should select all windows compatible with your schedule to allow us to consolidate the actual sessions to a few of these selected windows to optimize the attendance. Each accepted abstract will be assigned to one of these sessions. Each session will be implemented as a set of ZOOM breakout rooms. The main ZOOM room will have pointer to the collection of short 2min talks in the form of a pre-recorded video from each poster author assigned to that day, as a guide for the attendants to target the interested breakout rooms to visit the individual authors.
Poster abstract submission should follow the Call-for-abstract page on SLAC Indico. Abstract submission requires a SLAC Indico account. Those with SLAC computing account can just use your SLAC login (LDAP) for Indico account. For those without either account, you can create a SLAC Indico account with a simple registration/approval process. The approval may take a few days so that you should create the account well before the submission deadline. Please use your home institution E-mail for this account creation if possible to ease the approval process. Indico account creation request should indicate it is for SSI-2021 in the comments. Deadline for poster abstract submission is Aug 2, 2021. There are three components needed in your poster submission:
- Abstract submission: This should be as early as possible with just a text abstract in the Indico submission web form. Upon entering the author list, you need to click the "Speaker" box to confirm you are both submitter and speaker. Please select all sessions you can be available for (select at least one) in the Track list to ensure the assigned session is a day that works for you, but you will be assigned to only one of them eventually. You will receive an immediate acknowledge to indicate your abstract is being reviewed and hopefully a confirmation soon after that for acceptance. The sesssion assignments will be announced on the SSI web page shortly after Aug/2/2021.
- Poster submission: This you need to submit by Aug/9/2021. Once you have submitted an abstract, the Call-for-abstract page will display the link to your abstract at the bottom when you are logged in to SLAC Indico, before abstract submission closes. You can also find link to your submitted abstract from Indico contribution list. Click on your abstract to update material any time. Once logged in to the Indico, the small pencil sign above the 'Presentation Material' box will allow you to add material. The main `poster' file should be a PDF file that you can attach with 'Upload Files'. It is recommended to name the main poster file as poster_[your name].pdf for easy identification, especailly when you wish to upload multiple attachments as auxiliary information. We are not dictating the exact format of the poster and it should just be whatever you consider the best form to display during the online conversations. However, it is advised to be no more than a few pages for the main poster file, for concise conversations. It's best that your poster contains your contact information so that interested audience not at the session can also browse the material and ask questions to you online.
- Presentation video submission: This is optional but highly recommended as the short presentation video will give many more participants a chance to see you at a time that works for them, and as part of an efficient parade of the collection of short talks to get noticed and guide participants to your virtual room. Poster authors should record the presentation video and upload to a streaming server such as YouTube themselves and take note the URL. The video URL needs to be submitted also by Aug/9/2021. Similar to the poster submission you can go back to your abstract through Indico contribution list to update. Once logged in to the Indico, click the small pencil sign above the 'Presentation Material' box and select 'Add link' to enter the URL of the video you already created on YouTube or ZOOM and lenter the Title as "Presentation video". The presentation video can be in any YouTube compliant format, and up to two minutes long. Zoom recording is a convenient way to make the video. Presenters are encouraged but not required to appear in the video. A sample video on the poster session can be found here. Presenters will have the choice of keeping their video as public content, or have it removed at the end of SSI. Some Useful tutorials and instructions for making videos:
- Zoom Recording: [Local recording], [Cloud recording]
- Video Editing: [iMovie], [YouTube]
Poster Session Schedule and ZOOM setup
There are 4 poster sessions scheduled based on consolidated author availabilities:
||Day of week
||Time (US Pacific)
The assignment of abstract/author to the individual sessions can be found on the Indico Time Table. The "contribution" link under each abstract title has further details of abtract, poster files and presentation video. Authors can also follow these links to update their material after logged in to Indico. Everyone is encouraged to preiew the poster info to effectively guide your visit during the actual ZOOM session.
The live poster session has a dedicated open ZOOM room (different from the webinar ZOOM for lectures sent by E-mail to participants separately) that is also posted in Indico time table next to the poster session titles. Once SSI-chairs open the poster ZOOM session, everyone entering the session can use the breakout room pulldown menu at the bottom of the ZOOM window to navigate to the desired breakout rooms, labelled with author's name and abbreviated title. The ZOOM breakout rooms will be setup the day before each session. You can navigate to another breakout room using the breadkout room menu any time without going back to the main room first. The mic and camera settings will be muted/off by default whenever you enter/return to the main ZOOM room which you need to adjust when you go to the breakout rooms.
Please contact us in case of questions on the posters