TUE September 29
Tuesday, September 29 am - Workshops
Summary: In 2021, LCLS will begin to commission two new high-repetition rate, super conducting RF linac (SCRF), enabled endstations (DREAM and ChemRIXS). In this workshop, LCLS staff aim to inform users about the commissioning plans and expected capabilities of the RIXS instrument and of the ChemRIXS endstation. Plans and User provided experiment focus areas for SCRF Early Science with the ChemRIXS endstation at high repetition rates will also be presented. Workshop participants will be encouraged to provide feedback, input, and ideas to refine the SCRF Early Science approach.
How to Present Scientific Content in Different Contexts
Organizer: Audrey Therrien
Summary: This is a workshop to help create clear, impactful communications, partcularly for oral presentations and posters. We will present general guiding principles and take you through a step by step process for designing your presentations. We strongly recommend you come with a subject in mind and some writing tools as there will be exercises during the presentations that you can apply immediately to start improving your communication skills.
- Metals in Structural Biology
- Organizers: Sarah Bowman (Hauptman Woodward Institute), Jennifer Bridwell-Rabb (U Michigan), Jeney Wierman (SLAC/SSRL)
- Summary: Metals play critical roles in biology, conferring unique reactivity, enabling challenging chemistry and redox reactions, and functioning as structural scaffolds. It has been estimated that 30-50% of all proteins bind a metal or metal cofactor. Synchrotron-based techniques enable experiments that measure and monitor metal active site geometry and protein structure, as well as permitting elemental analysis to probe exactly what metals are present in a sample. In the Metals in Structural Biology workshop we will emphasize the use of spectroscopic, X-ray crystallography, XFEL and cryo-EM methods to study metalloprotein structure and function.
- Panelists, Monday, September 28:
- Panelists, Tuesday, September 29:
- Program Details: Check back later